Extension Educator: Land Use and Climate Resilience- UConn, Haddam

The University of Connecticut Department of Extension within the College of Agriculture, Health, and Natural Resources (CAHNR) is seeking applicants for an Assistant/Associate Extension Educator in Land Use Planning and Climate Resilience. We seek an individual whose professional skills and abilities can be applied to (1) the training and support of professional and volunteer local land use decision-makers and (2) providing support to communities in climate resiliency planning.

This position will be a core faculty member in the award-winning Center for Land Use Education and Research (CLEAR), be a part of the CLEAR Land & Climate Program Team, and contribute to the Center’s mission of supporting communities in balancing growth and natural resource protection.

The position will be based in the Department of Extension. There are also opportunities to collaborate with municipalities, state and federal government agencies, the CT Bar Association, the CT Chapter of the American Planning Association, the CT Association of Inland Wetland Commissioners, and across UConn through the Connecticut Sea Grant and the Connecticut Institute of Water Resources. 

An earned Master’s degree in land use planning, environmental management, environmental sciences, or related discipline and three years of on the ground experience in local land use planning for hire at the Assistant Extension Educator level.
An earned Master's degree in land use planning, environmental management, environmental sciences, or related discipline and five or more years of experience on the ground experience in local land use planning for consideration at the Associate Extension Educator level.
Understanding and awareness of the local impacts of climate change and potential adaptation solutions.
Experience obtaining and managing competitive grants.
Demonstrated superior oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.

Active AICP Certification.
Knowledge and understanding of Geographic Information Systems(GIS)/geospatial technologies.
Local land use planning experience in Connecticut.
Demonstrated expertise in outreach activities and program planning.
Expertise and experience in dealing with the local impacts of climate change, preferably in New England and including impacts on vulnerable populations.
A history of funding from state and/or federal agencies.
A record of publishing extension and peer-reviewed research.
A record of commitment to promoting and advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through academic, extension, and/or research activities.

This is a full-time, 11-month renewable, non-tenure track faculty position. This position is located at the Middlesex County Extension Center in Haddam, CT. Partial funding (80%) is provided, while the remaining 20% will be grant supported. In the first two years, 20% support will be provided by a USDA-Smith Lever grant awarded to UConn. After the first two years, this position will continue as an 80% hard-funded position and the incumbent will be expected to obtain self-secured grant funding to support the remaining 20%, which could include any sources identified by the Educator. This position is subject to annual renewal based on performance and on the successful candidate’s ability to secure grant funding. Information on benefits can be found at: https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-beyond-pay/.

Full job posting at: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/24451

Review of applications will begin on March 27, 2023, and continue until a successful candidate is selected. Inquiries should be sent by email to the search committee chair, CLEAR Interim Director David Dickson: david.dickson at uconn.edu

Stay updated. Join Our Newsletter.